We see it all the time – people get on video chat and they don’t wear a clean shirt (and some dudes don’t bother putting one on at all), they forget to smile or be friendly, and they talk about inappropriate things.
Therefore, we created this list of 10 Online Dating Tips that will improve your online dating experience. Enjoy.
- Do not talk dirty – Don’t even consider sending a dirty message or being crude on video. This is by far the number one no-no! If you’re looking for a steamy night at least build it up a bit with some conversation and find out if the person you’re talking to is into this sort of thing. Sex isn’t a bad thing, we’re definitely not trying to toe the line on that statement, but there’s this societal behavior called politeness – which deems you have respect for people you meet, online or off, and refrain from jumping the gun when it comes to sexual behavior.
- Wear a shirt – Guys, while we are sure you have great pecs, it is weird when your cam pops up and you are not wearing a shirt. Please put a shirt on and show us your pecs when we have gotten to know you a little bit better.
- Clean your room – if you’re participating in a video chat this one is important and often underestimated. If you had someone over to watch a movie you would not leave your dirty underwear strewn across the bed would you? Ya, didn’t think so – clean it up for the cam.
- Compliment the person you are talking to – say something nice about their profile or about their face. Try to be creative and mention something other than how stunning their eyes are. Michelle Obama agrees and says in an ABC News interview “You shouldn’t be in a relationship with someone who doesn’t make you completely happy and make you feel whole.
- Put some effort into your appearance – You wouldn’t consider going on a first date without putting on your “date” face would you? Why should your online dating experience be any different. If you want to improve your online dating experience put some effort in the way you look – put on some make-up and wash your hair.
- Smile – do not underestimate this one. One of the most common mistakes people make is looking too serious in their profile pictures. Post at least one photo of yourself where you look like you might actually be having a good time.
- Listen – Stop talking about yourself so much and take some time to ask a few questions and listen to the answer. Event science nerds at Scientific Blogging know this much!
- Do not talk about your ex – if you have ever gone on a date where the person won’t shut up about their last relationship you know from experience how lame this is. If you are not over your ex, maybe you should pick up a hobby and steer clear from dating for awhile. Or at least keep conversations about your broken heart between you and your buddies. Disarray magazine says “Bottom line, don’t mention the ex!”
- Keep your online profile picture current and clean – Do not pretend that you are the same person you were 10 years ago. You are not, and if you are chatting on video, we are going to notice pretty fast. Also, keep your photos clean. Dirty photos scare people, especially females, and it detracts from the community atmosphere.
- Be honest – do not pretend to be something you are not. It is easy to get carried away online and create a persona that might not reflect who you are in real life. Once people start talking to you on the phone or video chat they are going to get to know you pretty quickly so you might as well save yourself and everyone else some time by being legit straight from the GetGo.
It’s 2009 and the dating game has changed quite a bit. Not only is it a common occurrence for a girl to ask a guy out on a date (although it’s still not quite as common), it is also becoming more and more acceptable for dates to go “dutch” and split the cost of the outing.
Does it Matter Who Does the Inviting?
Absolutely, yes it does matter. If the guy asks the girl out he should absolutely pay. You know what he’s going to expect at the end of it anyway, if he’s smart he’ll pay and increase his chances of getting laid at the end.
The girl should by no means feel like she has to put out, of course. Girls should never forget that, in the end, they’re the deciding factor in whether or not the deal gets sealed.
Is It Better For Both Sexes to Split the Bill?
By paying at least part of the bill it gives women more power and allows them to be more assertive. “… it makes [women] an equal partner,” says etiquette expert and Essential Manners for Couples author Peter Post in an article on Huffington Post.
At the end of the date if it doesn’t work out then neither party feels too invested and is more apt to give an honest appraisal of the date at the end.
What do you think – is it still up to the guy to pay on the first date?
Take our poll to submit your answer. It’s fun so do it, we want to hear your answer.
Member Since: September 3, 2008
People Have Been Known to Describe Him As: awesomesauce, so.balla, pokemon.king, cutie, crazy.funny, beardylicious, barny.lova and much much more…. check him out to see all his creative descriptions.
Video with Most views: 12,093 Views
When it comes to relationships it can be hard to find balance between personal freedom and considering the needs of your partner. Finding balance between the two is often tested in the modern world of digital technology, where contact with the entire world is available at the click of a mouse.
The Wall Street Journal reports that email is dead, that Facebook and Twitter have officially taken its place. If this is true it may not be a good sign for relationships. A study, conducted by the CyberPsychology and Behavior Journal, reports that the amount of time spent on Facebook directly causes an increase in jealous feelings among partners.
So, if Facebook is the new email and it’s causing more problems in relationships than existed before, are relationships bound to fail, or do the benefits of insta-communication provide other benefits to relationship that outweigh the negatives?
And, is chatting online really considered cheating? According to a recent poll taken by onenightfriendfree.com users, this is what we found:
55% say “Depends”
20% say “YES”
20% say “NO”
5% say “What they don’t know won’t hurt them”
Amber Rose Kelly, up and coming artist who was nominated for young artist award and was voted TOP 10 in the Female Singer/Songwriter Channel on OurStage.Com, is making use of next generation twitter-esque site onenightfriendfree which uses real time voice and video to meet her fans and bring hope to cancer patients from around the world.
Add her as a friend to meet her in LIVE video chat on onenightfriendfree.