Top 10 Online Dating Tips & Tricks
We see it all the time - people get on video chat and they don’t wear a clean shirt (and some dudes don’t bother putting one on at all), they forget to smile or be friendly, and they talk about inappropriate things.
Therefore, we created this list of 10 Online Dating Tips that will improve your online dating experience. Enjoy.
- Do not talk dirty - Don’t even consider sending a dirty message or being crude on video. This is by far the number one no-no! If you’re looking for a steamy night at least build it up a bit with some conversation and find out if the person you’re talking to is into this sort of thing. Sex isn’t a bad thing, we’re definitely not trying to toe the line on that statement, but there’s this societal behavior called politeness - which deems you have respect for people you meet, online or off, and refrain from jumping the gun when it comes to sexual behavior.
- Wear a shirt - Guys, while we are sure you have great pecs, it is weird when your cam pops up and you are not wearing a shirt. Please put a shirt on and show us your pecs when we have gotten to know you a little bit better.
- Clean your room - if you’re participating in a video chat this one is important and often underestimated. If you had someone over to watch a movie you would not leave your dirty underwear strewn across the bed would you? Ya, didn’t think so - clean it up for the cam.
- Compliment the person you are talking to - say something nice about their profile or about their face. Try to be creative and mention something other than how stunning their eyes are. Michelle Obama agrees and says in an ABC News interview “You shouldn’t be in a relationship with someone who doesn’t make you completely happy and make you feel whole.
- Put some effort into your appearance - You wouldn’t consider going on a first date without putting on your “date” face would you? Why should your online dating experience be any different. If you want to improve your online dating experience put some effort in the way you look - put on some make-up and wash your hair.
- Smile - do not underestimate this one. One of the most common mistakes people make is looking too serious in their profile pictures. Post at least one photo of yourself where you look like you might actually be having a good time.
- Listen - Stop talking about yourself so much and take some time to ask a few questions and listen to the answer. Event science nerds at Scientific Blogging know this much!
- Do not talk about your ex - if you have ever gone on a date where the person won’t shut up about their last relationship you know from experience how lame this is. If you are not over your ex, maybe you should pick up a hobby and steer clear from dating for awhile. Or at least keep conversations about your broken heart between you and your buddies. Disarray magazine says “Bottom line, don’t mention the ex!”
- Keep your online profile picture current and clean - Do not pretend that you are the same person you were 10 years ago. You are not, and if you are chatting on video, we are going to notice pretty fast. Also, keep your photos clean. Dirty photos scare people, especially females, and it detracts from the community atmosphere.
- Be honest - do not pretend to be something you are not. It is easy to get carried away online and create a persona that might not reflect who you are in real life. Once people start talking to you on the phone or video chat they are going to get to know you pretty quickly so you might as well save yourself and everyone else some time by being legit straight from the GetGo.